It was 7:00 am. I sat in the restaurant of a beautiful hotel, ready to devour my breakfast meal. I looked out of the window, and to see God’s beauty. The ocean was serene, calm and peaceful. Two or three species of birds were floating in the water, some sat on the jugged rocks that formed a wall at the intersection of land and sea. The sun was slowly rising. With it came a warmness that was enveloped in this yellowish tint that painted over the distant mountains. The sun’s glistening light also caused a beautiful reflection upon the calm waters. It was as if God was saying, “Good morning world!”
The morning crisp air smelt like salt, with a slight hint of a beautiful fragrance of freshly caught fish. Occasionally I would hear the gentle ocean waves hit the rocks producing a rhythmic, melodious sound. This sound of natural music and the splendor of God’s architectural work led me to an intimate moment of reflection and prayer. The indescribable beauty of God’s unmatched creation lured me to reach out to God and touch Him. I wanted to invite Him to sit down and have a cup of morning Joe with me. His goodness overwhelmed me. It was as if all nature was collaborating in drawing my attention to the Creator God.
I sat there, as if glued to my chair, reflecting on the goodness of God. Overwhelmed by God’s grace, the little Zimbabwean boy in me asked, “How did I get here?” This is a question I often ask when I struggle to reconcile my past and my present life. This is a valid question.
- How did I get here? God’s amazing favor and grace, together with a series of obedient yes-to-God responses.
- How did I get here? A deep desire to serve the underprivileged.
- How did I get here? A deep desire to make a difference in our hurting world.
- How did I get here? The desire to preach the Gospel to all people.
- How did I get here? Maybe the answer is in the understanding of the “Who” who brought me here. The best answer is “God’s grace.”
As I sipped my third cup of coffee, I wondered where I would be, if Jesus had not saved me. What path would I have taken?
How about you?
How did you get where you are?
How has God directed your path?
Do you have moments when you have clearly seen God direct you from one place to another?